Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fieldtrip!


I recently took my little punks to the Good Samaritan Hospital a few blocks away from our downtown L.A. campus. I wanted to get them involved in the community, so one day I asked them what they thought we might be able to do to help. "Help?" they asked. "Yes, help. You know, like a service project?" Students: "Why would we want to do that?" I'll stop there. You can guess how the rest of the conversation went. They're in middle school!

However, after sufficiently brainwashing them, I got a lot of great ideas like, buy houses for the homeless, find a cure for cancer, get rid of the gangs in L.A., etc, etc. Great ideas kids, but maybe not this year. It's only my first year of teaching. Finally, a shy, quiet, precious little dear (I've only got one or two of that type) said, "maybe we could visit the sick?" Now you're talking. Something we could actually do in one day's work.

So a couple days later, with homemade "get-well-soon cards" in hand, we visited the rehab unit on the 6th floor (I only mention that because some of my students enjoyed the elevator ride most of all). We were met by friendly staff and many very grateful elderly patients. My naughty, naughty students transformed before my eyes as they talked to the patients with concern and gentleness. Look at those faces! Even the class tough guy who was not interested in "service" was a changed boy. He said, "Ms. Beus (the new name didn't stick w/ the kids), I can't give this card away." "Why not?" I asked. "Because I did a really sloppy job." Come again. Did I hear that right?! It's amazing what service can do for us. I'm sure proud of these kids!



10 comments:

Chelsea said...

I call for more posts like this Caroline. You lead such an interesting life and have a great talent for writing! I'm glad you're changing the world, one student at a time.

Caleb and Suzy said...

Caroline,
Sounds like you are living a great life. I feel for you in teaching (punk kids)... although I am only a part time sub.
I also feel for you with Brian being gone so much and either not eating, or making too much. I usually choose the eggos, a microwaved something or my favorite, a bowl of cereal. It is no fun to make dinner for yourself.

Love,
Suzy

Alisha said...

Wow! What a challenging job...I am sure that you do an awesome job with your students! I love reading what you are up to....I am going to try your recipe for taco soup...that looks so yummy!

Jessica Law said...

Hi Caroline, found your blog through Jessica Walkers blog. So good to see you're alive and well. Wow, I bet you are a terrific teacher and the kids have got to love you. I would love to catch up with you. My blog is lawfam.com and my email is jlaw31@gmail.com...drop me a note.

Jess said...

I think service is such a great idea for JH kids. I love that your student didn't want to give away a "sloppy" card. Wish you'd move here and teach my kids. We need more teachers like you. Keep it up!!

Juliette said...

Caroline, you are so funny!! We are related after all!! Looks like your great idea turn out good, I bet those kids just adore you.

Kricket said...

Beus,
Those are some lucky kids. I bet you are a great teacher. I miss teaching in the school system at time but for the most part I still teach it is just on a two to one basis right now and I like it that way.
Kricket

Connie said...

Good for you Caroline! I am so impressed and amazed at your patience and desire to be a positive influence in these kids lives. They are SOOO lucky to have you! And Brian is too!

Anonymous said...

I think that we should nickname you Ron Clark (it is a total compliment if you don't know who he is!) Way to go with the service project!
Love you!

Mama Beus said...

You are a such a wonderful teacher & example to those kids. They are so lucky to have you in their lives! We miss you here!