Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Taco Soup - 4 nights straight & counting...


Remind me not to make such a big a pot next time. I'm going to be eating this stuff for days... I can usually count on my husband's favorite organ to take care of the left overs, but he's been at meetings or out of town all week and so I'm on my own this time. It reminds me of when I lived with Grandma Shirley. It was just the two of us, but bless her heart, she can't resist a bargain... even when it means eating ham in every way it was ever meant to be prepared until we can't take any more... sliced ham, fried ham, julienned ham, shredded ham, ham and eggs, ham sandwiches, ham & pea soup, ham quiche, ham bisquits... Okay, I may be exaggerating, but a ten pound ham can last quite a while!

Anyways, I shouldn't be complaining because this stuff sure is good! In fact, I think I'll share my favorite version of the recipe.

Taco Soup
1 lb. ground beef
3 14 oz cans diced tomatoes (try Hunt's fire roasted w/garlic - you'll be so glad you did)
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 small can diced green chiles (if you're a wimp like me) or jalepenos (if your name is Brian and you like things that are HOT!)
1 can corn
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 cup water (or until right consistency)

serve with:
sour cream (the BEST part)
cheese (the second BEST part)
tortilla chips

P.S. I love you Grandma!

8 comments:

Jess said...

Aren't grandmas spendthrifts? I love it!! I always love a new recipe, thanks!

Juliette said...

WOW, a new post and a fun one at that!! That taco soup looks good and I would agree the best part is the toppings! I will have to try it out. Enjoy your soup tonight!! Also thanks for the package your is on its way.

Alisha said...

Looks yummy! I will definitely be giving this recipe a try!

Anonymous said...

Caroline-
We miss you!
Brooklyn had show and tell this week at school...she decided the special thing that she wanted to share was a picture of you and her at your reception in California. Liz put the picture in a lovely gold frame and it sits on her bookshelf. I was glad that she chose that instead of some silly little dollar store toy! She loves her aunt Caroline (who she wishes was her big sister) and thinks about you alot. I'm sorry you've had to eat so much taco soup by yourself...it does look pretty scrumptious...we'll have to give it a try at our house too!
Love You!

Mama Beus said...

That is one of our family favorites also!! You are good to even cook if your husband is out of town. We have cold cereal, nachos, mac & cheese, or ramen noodles when Chad is out of town!

Kricket said...

Beus,
So fun to see a new post. I love you and thanks for the recipe. Taco soup is one of our favorites and yours sounds good.
Kricket

joanna said...

a beus exaggerate, that never happens. Looks like a tasty meal, we'll have to give it a try! hope all is well!

Deborah said...

You forgot ham salad!