Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Gramps' WWII Letters

I just finished compiling Gramps' letters from his time in the Navy during WWII. It has been a work in progress this year and surely there will be more updates, but I thought you'd like to see it so far. There is a map in the back as well and a list of the movies he saw while on board the USS Mindanao.You can view it by clicking on the picture of Gramps above or send me your email address and I will send it to you as an attachment (merrell3@gmail.com). It is about 4.5MB so I can email it to most email providers.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Thanks Brian- you are AWESOME!

William Freeman said...

Brian
thanks for posting these letters
I dont know if youre aware of it- you must be- that the Mindinao was only 300 yearrds or so from the ammkunition ship USS Mount Hood when it exploded in Seeadler Harbor in New Guinea on Nov 11, 1944. the Mindinao was seriously damaged and there was a loss of nearly 1080 men. Yet your grandfathers letters make no mention of it. Was it wartime censorship?
Could they have been THAT effective?
Have you ever heard anything to explain this from your grandfather?
I'd love to hear about it, as I was an ammunition ship sailor myself and am a student of their lore.