Sunday, June 29, 2008

Marky comes to visit Part I: Boba & Sushi


On his first day in L.A. we thought we should force Marky to experience a little bit of California with some tasty Asian treats: boba and sushi. "What in the world is boba?" you ask.

Well... boba is a little brown ball of tapioca derived from the starch of the cassava root. It's sweet, it's slimy, it's chewy and it's very delicious!

In West LA you can find little tiny boba shops all over the place. They put boba in coffee and tea mostly, BUT... they also put it in these milky, creamy, unbelievably good fruit smoothies... and if there's something milky and creamy and unbelievably good, you better believe that this dairy farmer's daughter has discovered it.

So, anyway, the friendly people mix up your drink, the boba sinks to the bottom, after which you grab a special extra-wide boba straw and immediately begin to slurp (some people think they are too good to "slurp"... eh hem, Brian). Sometimes, I even forget to chew those little bobas because the slurpie is so tasty! Brian likes to chew every single one until it's completely disintegrated. It takes him hours to finish... unless I get my hands on it, which I usually manage to do.

So, here's a little diagram for your information.

And here is Marky slurping it down. It took a little coaxing... but I think he liked it!

This is Brian not slurping...


And here's the sushi... unfortunately, it wasn't as well recieved by Marky. Oh well, B and I liked it!

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Funny post Caroline! Gotta love little brothers. I have never heard of a boba. Looks like we need to come visit you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juliette said...

How Fun! We hope to come visit you guys someday soon too!! Mark, what a lucky little brother! I guess you can say it pays to be the baby of eight!!

The Wyler Family said...

looks like fun. i can't believe how old mark is. i remember him as the little kid who sent you pictures he had drawn to hang on your wall. time flies!

Anonymous said...

Caroline-
i love the diagram of the boba! When we come to visit...I would love to try me some boba too! I've tried sushi before so I will pass on that, but boba...yeah baby, bring on chewy and sweet!

Baxter's said...

I gotta try that? Do that have that down here in San Diego...hey...email me those pics of T, me and you...eh?